May 16, 2015

All aboard

New York Harbor

A long-time sailor, my father likes to get out on the water, no matter where we are, even if it’s a big city. So Saturday morning right after breakfast, we took a train to the lower end of the island to catch the Staten Island Ferry.

My mother remembers the ferry costing a nickel when she was a kid. But now it’s even cheaper: it’s free. The commuters who take the ferry to work mostly sit on benches inside, reading newspapers and checking their email on glowing devices. The shoeshine guy hustles between the rows of chairs, looking for customers. The tourists stand eagerly at the rails for spectacular views of the harbor, the wind whipping their hair into their faces.

As we passed the Statue of Liberty and Ellis Island, I could see people holding up phones all along the rail to snap a picture, jostling each other to get the perfect shot. “I wonder how many iPhones there are at the bottom of New York Harbor,” my sister said to me.

I liked the return trip the best. We found a bench in the sun, out of the wind. It was exciting to watch the skyscrapers get bigger as we got closer and closer to the tip of the island. The bridges in the city are graceful, stretching out across the water to connect boroughs. As we docked, we got up to join the throngs of people hurrying down the gangplank and into the city. Statue of Liberty My father looking out at the Statue of Liberty

10 comments:

Marty said...

I had no idea the ferry was free. It should right at the top of the sightseeing list.
And what a perfect thing to do with your father.

Anonymous said...

The best free thing in NYC! I love the Staten Island Ferry.

T.

TexWisGirl said...

that's awesome.

Mwa said...

I didn't realise it was free either. I've only been to New York once. This post made me homesick - I love that city so much.

jp@A Green Ridge said...

Although a great deal, and what appears to be a calm ride, I would be seasick...:)JP

jo(e) said...

A Quiet Corner: I get motion-sick on airplanes and floating docks, at IMAX theatres and on amusement rides, even in elevators — but I don't get sick on boats as long as I'm outside in the fresh air and can see the horizon. The Staten Island Ferry is a short enough that I can make it through without getting seasick at all.

L said...

I always LOVE your photos!

Cat Lover said...

Wow, a free ferry! Great. Your photo's are wonderful. You are lucky to be able to share the trip with your Dad.

ianqui said...

Too bad you weren't here when Governor's Island is open! Your family would really like that!

EG CameraGirl said...


\Wonderful shot of your dad looking over the water at NYC.